Cooperstown Bat Company
Cooperstown Fire Department
Cooperstown Farmers Market
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
Located just six miles outside of the Village of Cooperstown, Brewery Ommegang was founded by Don Feinberg and Wendy Littlefield in 1997. Known as much for its traditional Belgian Farmhouse as its product, this business has helped revolutionize and bring back a traditional part of Cooperstown’s economy. In 2003, Belgian Brewer Duvel Moortgat purchased Ommegang and took it to new heights. Celebrating its award winning beers from award winning brew master Phil Leinart, Ommegang distributes to 46 states, the District of Columbia, and internationally. Each summer, the Brewery hosts one of the biggest beer festivals in the country, Belguim Comes to Cooperstown, and its summer concert series continues to bring visitors from near and far to the community. Beyond its performance as an anchor business to Cooperstown’s economy, Brewery Ommegang is a true community ambassador as a supporter of many important local events, including Cooptoberfest, that sets it apart.
A part of local college SUNY Oneonta, the Cooperstown Graduate Program has been a part of the Cooperstown community since 1964 when it was founded by Louis C. Jones, then-director of the New York State Historical Association. As one of the oldest Museum Studies graduate programs in the country, it continues to grow each year. In 2011, CGP as it is known in the community, moved into a space just north of the Village of Cooperstown that is one of the only buildings in the world designed specifically for museum studies. Additionally, CGP offers a Science of Museum Studies program, which was the first masters program of its kind in the country. Each year, the local community is sprinkled with over 40 graduate students who help in providing studies that help improve Cooperstown’s community, offering unique perspectives, with many having gone on to live and contribute to many of Otsego County’s museums and businesses.
This museum sits on land that has been part of a working farm since 1813 when it was owned by legendary author and native son James Fenimore Cooper. The property was then owned by the Judge Samuel Nelson, and then acquired by the Clark Family in 1870. In 1944 the estate was opened to the public and became The Farmers’ Museum that has been an anchor for the Cooperstown Community. In 2018, the showcase complex known as the “Cow Palace,” built by architect Frank Whiting in the Colonial Revival style by the orders of Edward Clark, will celebrate its 100th anniversary. Originally built as a home for his prize herd of cattle, this building has become the signature piece of the museum. This private, non-governmental educational organization has been an integral part of every childhood memory in central New York, and welcomes tens of thousands of visitors on an annual basis. Each year, it continues to redefine itself offering wonderful programming and events such as the Harvest Festival and Candlelight Evening. Today the museum collections number more than 23,000 artifacts, and remains one of the top destinations in Cooperstown.
This local corner market was founded by Orlando Spurbeck, a former railroad employee, and his wife Caroline in 1941 and has been a family-owned and operated business for over 75 years. Following in his footsteps, their daughter Gertrude “Gert” Spurbeck would take over operation with her husband Leroy in 1967 and would operate for decades. In 1991, Gert’s son Roger Smith, following his retirement as Cooperstown Postmaster, became involved in the business, eventually taking over ownership in 2000 wife Dorothy until this December 2017. Located on Railroad Avenue for its entire existence, Spurbeck’s would become a frequent lunchtime stop with its sandwiches and soup and its famous “Spurbeck’s Cheese,” which can be found as a key ingredient at many local restaurants throughout the region. In 2017, Spurbeck’s was sold to a new family to lead into the next generation.
Founded by Mrs. Isobel Marks Hyde and other prominent citizens in 1917, the Otsego County SPCA arranged for strays to live with area veterinarians. In 1972, this non-profit organization built its first dedicated shelter in Pierstown, just a few miles north of the Village of Cooperstown. At the time, the shelter was maintained entirely by volunteers who answered telephones, fed, and cared for the animals. In the early 1980’s, the SPCA opened the Better Exchange Thrift Shop which has been a key revenue generator for the maintenance of the shelter and its animals. In the mid 1990’s the shelter adopted a new business model and officially became a no-kill shelter, and would care for an animal no matter its age or time spent at the shelter. In 1981 the organization was renamed to the Susquehanna SPCA, which its could be referred to until November 2014, when it became its current name, the Susquehanna Animal Shelter.