A User’s Guide for Local Democracy
Public meetings and political debates are critical components of democracy in local government and our citizens are playing more active roles. Effective meetings and dialogue are essential to good planning, decision-making, and management.
The nonpartisan Leagues of Women Voters of the Cooperstown and Oneonta Areas are pleased to announce this public workshop. The workshop is designed to build attendees’ skills and confidence in planning and holding successful events and meetings. Importantly, we will look at ways to be more effective in listening to divergent opinions, and contending with stridency, in the search for meaningful consensus.
Session contents will include:
Moderating debates and public events
- Understanding nonpartisanship principles and techniques for organizing and running candidate events and issue debates
- Preparing and using a moderator’s script
- Handling difficult issues from candidates/audience/media
Managing diverse perspectives and building consensus
- Key meeting management skills in listening, dialogue, mediation, and facilitation
- Managing differing views/opinions/comments
- Building and gaining consensus
- Q&A on solutions and preventive strategies for common challenges